Saturday, October 13, 2012

Luke 9:18 : The Layperson's Model for Prayer

"Now it happened that as he was praying alone the disciples were with him" (Luke 9:18).

Comtemplating this verse recently, it struck me as a reflection of what my own prayer often looks like.  Laypeople, especially parents of young children like myself, must usually make time for prayer amidst other goings on and other people.  There are times when I am trying to find solitude for prayer and know that it is God's will to interrupt my prayer to attend to a need of my family which has arisen.  Establishing the sense of solitude with God in one's "inner room" ( cf. Matthew 6:6) may at times prove tenuous, knowing that it may not represent absolute physical solitude with God.  So there are times when in order to accomplish prayer we must enter into a sense of solitude with God even when we are in the midst of others.  We thus seek to "pray alone" while others are with us, just as Jesus prayed "alone" to the Father while the disciples were with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment